CarpentryCon @ Home kicks off on July 14 and now is a great time for as many as are interested in our community to get involved - comment on session proposals you would like to see, contribute to sessions still looking for help, and volunteer to be a call host for your region.
Help Us Review Proposals
- Read each proposal, ask clarifying questions or volunteer to help run the session in the comments section, and
- Upvote (using the thumbs-up emoji 👍) or comment on the proposals you would like to see included in the six-week schedule between 14 July - 31 August 2020. Please note that all CarpentryCon @ Home sessions will be expected to adhere to The Carpentries Code of Conduct.
Volunteer to Help Run Specific Sessions
Several proposals are looking for contributors, specific feedback, or session co-chairs. All of the sessions in need of community input can be found under the help wanted tag.
Sign Up As a Regional Session Host
Timezone ranges for CarpentryCon @ Home
Another way to contribute to CarpentryCon @ Home is by becoming a Regional Session Host. Because CarpentryCon @ Home sessions will be delivered remotely, we are looking for local community members to help host CarpentryCon @ Home sessions slated to take place at specific times. Here is a breakdown of timezones we have bundled up.
What is the role of a Regional Session Host?
Borrowing from The Carpentries guide to running online CarpentryConnect events, the role of Regional Session Hosts will include:
- Introducing speakers at the start of their session in the online event
- Recording the session after introducing the speaker(s)
- Skimming through questions raised during the presentation and decide which ones to prioritise for the time slotted for Q&A
- Preparing a set of summaries for the last 5 minutes of the call, explaining
- where attendees can continue with discussions after the virtual session
- what attendees can expect in the coming days i.e. - recording of the call will be released, for example, an invitation to collaborate on a post-session blog post or survey, etc
- making sure the Code of Conduct is being followed during the online session.
The CarpentryCon @ Home Task Force will offer an orientation to regional hosts before the event begins.
Sign me up!
To volunteer as a regional host, sign up here Google Doc signup; the timezones are organised in sheets. The task force will be in touch in late June to organise orientation sessions for the hosts and answer questions.